These vegan kale falafels are a crispy and delicious Mediterranean treat. Classic falafel flavor with an added nutritional boost from the kale! Perfect as an appetizer with some hummus or tzatziki, or as a side to any Mediterranean meal.
- 1 lb Dried Chickpeas
- 1 small White Onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup Kale
- 1/4 cup Fresh Parsley, stems removed
- 1/4 cup Cilantro, stems removed
- 4-5 cloves Garlic, peeled
- 2 tbsp Tahini
- 1 Lemon, juiced (about 2 tbsp)
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Cayenne
- 1 tsp Coriander or Cardamom
- 1/4 tsp Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup Chickpea Flour (use as needed to create dough)
- 2-4 tbsp Avocado Oil (or other healthy fat oil with a high smoke point)
- In a medium pot, add dried chickpeas and cover with 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, boil for 1-2 minutes, remove from the heat and cover. Let sit 1 hour.
- While chickpeas cook, prep the kale, onion, parsley, and cilantro.
- Once chickpeas are done cooking, drain excess water and add to a food processor or blender with onion, kale, parsley, cilantro, garlic, tahini, and lemon juice. Pulse/blend until broken down, then add cumin, cayenne, coriander, salt, and pepper and mix until well combined.
- Add chickpea flour 1 tbsp at a time while pulsing until the mixture reaches a dough consistency.
- Cover mixture and refrigerate for 30 mins until the dough becomes firm. *optional
- Using approximately 2 tbsp scoops, form the falafel dough into discs. You should get around 20-24 falafels.
- Heat a thin coating of avocado oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add falafels and cook until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Enjoy with some homemade vegan tzatziki or beet hummus!
- This recipe uses dried chickpeas instead of canned. Canned chickpeas are too soft and can make your falafels fall apart!
- You may need to work in batches depending on the size of your blender or food processor
- You want your falafel mixture to be a dry doughy consistency, if it’s too moist the falafels will fall apart while cooking
- Refrigerating your mixture is optional but it helps the falafels stay together while cooking
Keywords: kale falafel, vegan falafel, gluten-free falafel