A healthy vegan chickpea cookie dough. Soft, creamy, and addictingly good peanut butter chocolate flavor. Eat it by the spoonful without feeling guilty!
I’m all for healthier versions of dessert recipes, but this vegan chickpea cookie dough might be my favorite creation so far.
It has that thick, creamy texture that we know and love from cookie dough, as well as that cookie flavor, but with some added chocolate peanut butter deliciousness!
Using chickpeas to thicken the dough and hold things together instead of eggs, butter, and flour makes this recipe far healthier than traditional cookie dough.
Does Chickpea Cookie Dough Taste Like Chickpeas?
I know what you’re thinking, but don’t worry! Chickpea cookie dough doesn’t actually taste like chickpeas.
Chickpeas have a very bland flavor once you’ve thoroughly rinsed off all of the water that they are canned in.
That means the flavors of the peanut butter, chocolate, and vanilla extract, as well as the sweetness of the dates are what you taste.
It tastes exactly like you would expect cookie dough to taste – only much healthier!
Is it safe to eat vegan cookie dough?
The best part about vegan cookie dough is that you can eat it by the spoonful and it is totally safe.
There’s no raw eggs in vegan cookie dough so you don’t run the risk of getting anything nasty like salmonella from eating it.
Plus this recipe uses raw, whole food ingredients with no added sugars or preservatives!
So you don’t need to feel guilty about satisfying that sweet tooth.
Why You'll love this recipe:
- 7 Ingredients: This recipe uses just 7 common ingredients, you likely have most of them in your pantry already!
- High In Protein: Over 11 grams of protein per serving thanks to the protein packed chickpeas and peanut butter!
- Guilt-Free: No dessert is truly guilt-free, but some are definitely healthier than others. The fats in this cookie dough come from peanut butter which contains healthy monosaturated fats. It is also sweetened naturaly using just dates.
- Ready In 10 Minutes: This recipe really is as easy as throwing the ingredients into the blender and pressing a button! This cookie dough is ready to eat in less than 10 minutes.
How To Make Vegan chickpea cookie dough
Drain and thoroughly rinse the chickpeas until water runs clear.
Peel the chickpeas so that the cookie dough will have a smooth and creamy texture. The best way to do this is to add chickpeas to a large bowl of water then rub them between your hands.
The peels will float to the top and the chickpeas will sink. Discard the peels then drain the chickpeas.
Add the peeled chickpeas, peanut butter, dates, almond milk, vanilla, and salt to a Vitamix blender or food processor.
Blend/pulse until everything is broken down and you have a thick “doughy” texture.
In a large bowl, combine the cookie dough and chocolate chips.
Fold the chocolate chips in until the mixture is well combined. Enjoy!
Recipe Tips + Extra Info:
Follow these tips to make sure your cookie dough comes out perfect every time!
- Unsalted: Use unsalted chickpeas and peanut butter so that you don’t need to add any extra sweeteners besides a few Medjool dates. If your chickpeas or peanut butter is salted, leave out the 1/2 tsp of salt the recipe calls for.
- Peel Chickpeas: Peeling the chickpeas might seem like an unnecessary step, but this is what gives the cookie dough its perfectly creamy texture. Leaving the peels on would make it a bit gritty.
- Rinse Thoroughly: Thoroughly rinsing the chickpeas is very important to making the cookie dough taste like cookie dough and not chickpeas! Rinse and drain them until the water is running off is clear.
- Nut Butter: Any nut butter will work in this recipe. Peanut butter flavor pairs great with chocolate, but if you want a more traditional cookie dough flavor try using cashew or almond butter.
- Agave Nectar/Maple Syrup: I like the rich caramel sweetness that dates provide, but agave nectar and maple syrup can also be used to sweeten the cookie dough. Use 2 tbsp of these sweeteners in place of the dates.
- Plant-Based Milk: Any plant-based milk will do for this recipe. I like the flavor of almond milk and it is what I usually have on hand, but cashew milk and oat milk would be great alternatives.
Save Money Making Chickpea Cookie Dough
I get most of my non-perishable groceries (including ingredients like almond milk and vegan chocolate chips) at Thrive Market.
They have all my favorite organic brands at up to 50% off plus they ship right to my doorstep.
They’re cheaper than Amazon or Whole Foods so it really is a no brainer for me.
You can see how much I save in my review of Thrive Market.
I definitely recommend checking them out if you shop organic brands, or want to shop by dietary restrictions like vegan, gluten-free, etc.
Here’s some of the brands I used in this recipe so you can compare prices at both Thrive Market and Amazon to get the best deals:
A healthy and edible vegan chickpea cookie dough. This delicious peanut butter chocolate cookie dough is a guilt-free and protein packed way to satisfy your sweet tooth. Enjoy it by the spoonful!
- 15 oz can Chickpeas (unsalted)
- 1/2 cup Nut Butter (unsalted, I used peanut butter)
- 5 Dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup Almond Milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Mini Vegan Chocolate Chips
- Drain and thoroughly rinse chickpeas until water runs clear. Peel the chickpeas so that the cookie dough will have a smooth and creamy texture. The best way to do this is to add chickpeas to a large bowl of water then rub them between your hands. The peels will float to the top and the chickpeas will sink. Discard the peels then drain the chickpeas.
- Add the peeled chickpeas and all ingredients besides the chocolate chips to a blender or food processor. Blend/pulse until everything is broken down and you have a thick “doughy” texture.
- In a large bowl, combine the cookie dough and chocolate chips. Fold the chocolate chips in until the mixture is well combined. Enjoy!
- Save up to 50% on organic versions of the ingredients used in this recipe at Thrive Market. First time customers can get an additional 25% off their first order!
- Make eating healthy easy with a Vitamix blender. I use mine for everything from food processing, juicing, homemade nut milks, and of course perfectly smooth smoothies! I recommend the Explorian Series blenders for an affordable option, or the Vitamix A3500 for a top of the line smart blender.
- Category: dessert
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 290g
- Sugar: 17g
- Fat: 18.5g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 11g
Keywords: vegan cookie dough, chickpea cookie dough