Southwest Black Bean Burgers full of bold and spicy southwest flavors. These vegan burgers are so tender and juicy, they might just convert your meat eating friends!
Black Bean Burgers
- 2 14 oz cans Black Beans, thoroughly drained
- 1/2 Red Onion, minced
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp BBQ Sauce (or substitute ketchup)
- 2 tbsp Vegan Worcestershire Sauce (or substitute soy sauce)
- 2 tsp Hot Sauce
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 4 Hamburger Buns
Southwest Toppings (Optional)
- 1/2 Red Onion, sliced
- 1 Avocado, mashed
- 1 can Whole Hatch Green Chiles, drained
- Tomato, sliced
- Vegan Chipotle Mayo (I used this homemade recipe)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Peel a large red onion, mince one half and slice the other. Slice tomatoes, green chiles, and avocado.
- Thoroughly drain two 14 oz cans of black beans. Add beans to a foil lined baking sheet and season with about 1 tsp of paprika and cumin. Once oven has preheated, cook the beans for about 10 minutes until slightly dried.
- While the beans cook, heat a drizzle of oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the minced onion until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Once soft, add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Once beans have cooked, transfer them to a large bowl. Mash the beans with the back of a fork until they are mostly broken down. Add in the sautéed onion and garlic, BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and Panko breadcrumbs. Stir until well combined.
- Form the black bean mixture into 4 equal sized patties, about 1 inch thick.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the black bean patties and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Once patties have cooked, remove from pan. Add buns to pan face down to toast. Cook about 2-3 minutes until lightly toasted.
- Add your toppings of choice and enjoy!
- Category: main dish
- Serving Size: 1 Burger
- Calories: 386
- Sugar: 7.3g
- Sodium: 479mg
- Fat: 3.1g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 70.7g
- Fiber: 17.5g
- Protein: 18.5g
Keywords: southwest black bean burger, spicy vegan black bean burger