Authentic flavored Jackfruit Carnitas Tacos – juicy, tender, and completely vegan!
- 20 oz can Green Jackfruit (in brine), drained and thoroughly rinsed
- 8 small Corn Tortillas (or 16 if you prefer to double wrap)
- 1/2 White Onion, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup (to help caramelize onions)
- 1 Orange, peeled
- 1 Lime, juiced (about 1 tbsp of juice)
- 3 cloves Garlic, peeled
- 1/2 Jalapeno, cored and seeded
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Coriander
- 1/4 tsp Onion Salt
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 Avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 Cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 White Onion, diced
- 1/4 cup Avocado Lime Crema (try this vegan recipe)
- Drain and rinse the canned jackfruit thoroughly to remove the brine. Add jackfruit to a food processor and pulse until shredded and you reach a ‘pulled meat’ texture.
- Wash and dry fresh produce. Peel onion, garlic, orange, and avocado. Thinly slice half the onion and dice the other half. Remove pit from avocado then thinly slice. Remove stems from cilantro then roughly chop the leaves until you have 1/4 cup. Remove stem from jalapeno, cut in half lengthwise, then seed and core.
- Heat a pan over medium high heat then add a drizzle of olive oil. Add sliced onions to pan (saving the diced onions for toppings later) then add 1 tbsp of maple syrup to the onions. Cook until onions are softened and caramelized, about 4-5 minutes.
- While onions cook, season the jackfruit with the spice rub and toss to coat evenly. Once onions have caramelized, add seasoned jackfruit to the pan with onions and cook until slightly dry and browned, about 3-5 minutes.
- While jackfruit cooks add the sauce ingredients to a blender and blend until liquefied and well combined. Once jackfruit has cooked, reduce heat to medium and add the blended sauce to pan. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook until most of the liquid has cooked off, about 10 minutes.
- Add the jackfruit carnitas mixture to tortillas then top with avocado slices, diced onion, cilantro, and crema. Enjoy!
- In a rush but still want to try some jackfruit carnitas tacos? Try this pre-shredded pre-marinated jackfruit carnitas and get an extra 25% off your first order!
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Tacos
Keywords: Jackfruit Carnitas, Vegan Carnitas